Thursday, July 7, 2011

Mexican Immigration in U.S.A.

Last February of this year,  I went to Mexico City to renew my Visa, like a french immigrant, for my job in New York City. I needed an interview with the American immigration. I went to the embassy of the United States of America and I was so surprised by the number of people who was making the line to get  an application for tourist visa  or temporary worker visa. That day, I was with almost 800 Mexican people in this American embassy and the only  french guy. A man who was in the line told me that  the number of Mexicans is like that everyday. I spent more than 5 hours to get an interview with an immigration agent. I discovered, like a french immigrant, an  unusual reality. Today, I read this article in the New York Times. 


A quiet cultural shift is running through rural families like the Orozcos - from left; Andrés, Antonio and Samuel, who have been sending workers north since the 1920s. Now their homes are filling up with returning relatives, men who used to go illegally are seizing expanded visa opportunities, and the youngest Orozcos are determined to stay put.


" The extraordinary Mexican migration that delivered millions of illegal immigrants to the United States over the past 30 years has sputtered to a trickle, and research points to a surprising cause: unheralded changes in Mexico that have made staying home more attractive... Here in the red-earth highlands of Jalisco, one of Mexico’s top three states for emigration over the past century, a new dynamic has emerged. For a typical rural family like the Orozcos, heading to El Norte without papers is no longer an inevitable rite of passage. Instead, their homes are filling up with returning relatives; older brothers who once crossed illegally are awaiting visas; and the youngest Orozcos are staying put...".
"Better Lives for Mexicans Cut Allure of Going North". By Published: July 6, 2011. New York Times. 

A video.

No comments:

Post a Comment